Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire, Gimme that which I Desire.
Metallica - Fuel
Love this song!
Metallica has so many awesome songs, it almost isn't fair that they hog so many of them from other bands.
While putting in my long run this Sat AM and getting jiggy to this song I was thinking how to eliminate, or at least reduce as much as possible, the odds of my screwing up and not running under a 3 hour marathon this upcoming fall & spring season (as I figure I will have one shot at it in the fall and another in the spring). As if there is a way to screw something up, I can usually find it.
There is no fancy-pants way around it - I need to focus on some meat-and-potatoes stuff.
I figure if I can focus on these 5 things my odds of pulling it off go up considerably:
- Continue slowly upping the weekly mileage.
- Put the screws down on my diet.
- Put in 1x per week of swimming laps.
- Focus on quality running and runs with clear purposes.
- Keep listening to a broader range of up-tempo, hard rock, and most importantly - cheesy music.
(1) Right now I am averaging around 50 or just slightly more miles a week. Which is ok, but it is not enough. It is enough to get me flirting with a 3 hour marathon and talking smack, but it doesn't put it in the bag.
The best place I can do this is during the workweek. The morning 5 mile runs need to turn into 6, and start sprinkling in some 8 milers in there as well.
(2) Gotta put the screws down on the diet. I carry around too much weight as it is for a runner. And I noticed over about the last month I had been letting things slip a little bit. Drinking on a Saturday afternoon, too much starchy bread, and eating more at dinner than I needed to.
I could tell from pictures from most recent race I had put too much weight on. I was thinking This Song was going to need to be put onto my iPod.
So for the last two weeks I have started putting the screws down on the diet. No drinking, starch bread cut back (this is a big weakness for me - bread is *awesome* in Japan), and evenings have been cutting way back on food consumption - and eating mostly vegetables, fruits, and yogurt. I mean, what do you need food at night for when you are just going to go to sleep anyway. Can already note the results - is good to be able to control the weight relatively at will.
(3) Need to start throwing in a swim a week to compliment the running. And as it is getting hot here now for the summer should not be an issue.
(4) Need to make sure most all runs have a purpose.
Am happy that I have settled into a good one time per weekend trail run along with the long run groove. This changes things up great, works leg muscles I otherwise normally wouldn't, and the elevation gain/loss has got to be good for me. Plus is just a good way to keep things fresh/switched up.
Also I need to be sure to have at least one focused speed work/repeats type of run a week. I kind of do this sometimes, but sometimes I don't.
(5) Finally as I run solo over here in the boondocks of Japan I gotta keep finding more music, especially cheesy music :-), to run to. Doing this will keep me "Hungry Like The Wolf".
Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
See how that works?! Total cheese song from my youth. Look at those dorks prancing around the city and the jungle in their cheesy 80's outfits. Great running music!
As usual... Running is Awesome!